Sunday, July 26, 2015

Lots of Progress: Roof, Wiring, and Subfloor Finished and More!

Hello Everyone,
I want to apologize for how long it has been since I last updated my blog. A large amount of progress has been made since my last post. Aside from covering the open corners, my siding and insulation are complete. Additionally, my Uncle Steve finished installing the suspended ceiling. My front door has been installed and painted and now only needs a doorknob. Arthur Stone installed the roof cap for my house. My father and I installed the wiring, and my grandmother Becky and I painted the interior of my house. In addition, my father and I have begun installing my subfloor.



The Roof

Building a pitched roof was both cost-prohibitive and, due to the container’s strength, unnecessary. I may eventually put a pitched roof on it. However, what is currently being used is a roof cap made of flashing. It slopes down from the container roof to cover the top of the insulation and siding and is screwed to the siding and the roof of the container. On the side touching the roof of the container, caulking was added under the flashing to create a water barrier. Before the caulking could be installed, I had to wash the edge of the roof (approximately a two-inch strip) to remove any dirt or other residue that would result in poor adhesion. I had a thick plank to kneel on, but the roof’s high temperature (which I could feel through my shoes) helped to make this a fairly unenjoyable task.

Wiring





My father did most of the wiring in my house, because I do not know how, though I was able to help with some aspects. Part of the wiring had to be redone after we were informed by my mother’s uncle (former electrical inspector for the State of Vermont, now serving a similar role at a large medical center) that it did not meet electrical code. He said that with the electrical wiring that was first run, there was the risk of electrocution, especially high since the metal walls have no covering other than a coat of paint.

Painting





As you may remember from the post I made giving a background on my project, I am using recovered Local Color paint from ReBuild, a store run by Vermont nonprofit ReSource. The Chittenden Solid Waste District accepts partial cans of paint and then combines and resells them. It cannot be guaranteed to be low-VOC (very important, as the house will be virtually airtight when the windows and doors are shut) because of the nature of its source. To mitigate these issues, I will be applying a coat of transparent Vermont Natural Coatings finish.
   
The Subfloor




The subfloor consists of 4-inch foam insulation boards (the same type used on the walls and ceiling) and tongue-in-groove OSB, which is a composite similar to, but less expensive than, plywood.  My father and I were able to install two sections of the floor on Saturday, July 25, and we finished the remainder of it the following day. This process has not been extremely difficult, but when I removed the tarp s from my insulation, a discovered that more than half of it was infested with carpenter ants. The other half seemed to be okay, but I sprayed a large amount of vinegar (which kills carpenter ants) on every usable sheet of insulation before it was brought inside, with special attention to any holes that the ants created. I also sprayed the container floor with vinegar before each sheet was placed.

What’s Next?
After installing the subfloor, the next step will be to install the ceiling. I had planned on using sheetrock, but have now decided to use paneling. After the electrical fixtures are installed, work on my ceiling will be complete. The partitions that will be used for my bedroom and bathroom walls also need to be cut and painted. 
After my ceiling and subfloor are installed, I expect construction to go much more quickly, so please check back. Thank you for reading!

Devin


1 comment: